Saturday, September 5, 2009

Cell phone Karaoke and Symphonies

I'm attached to my cell phone because it keeps me connected to the world but more and more because of all the cool things it does. In fact, I would say that I use my phone as a speaking device only 15% (or less) of all applications. I’m imagining the day when I'll leave the house with only my cell phone and a tube of lipstick. It will be my method of payment, the electronic key to my home, the device that starts the ignition in my car and opens the garage door automatically.


Some of the most innovative applications of the cell phone as social device are related to music making. There’s a whole new “genre” of music that the cell phone is inspiring, making the creation and perhaps even the enjoyment of music more accessible to generations who don’t have the access (or patience) to master a traditional instrument like the flute or violin.


Yet cell phones create both order and disorder. They can be very disruptive, annoying and downright rude. A professor of music from the Indiana University, David Baker, recently premiered the Concertino for Cell Phones and Orchestra. He wanted to illustrate how cellular phones create both order and disorder in our society. "All man-made devices can be used for good and for bad," says Baker, who has been nominated for both a Pulitzer Prize and a Grammy. He adds that while cell phones are great for keeping in touch and getting help in emergencies, they're also very disruptive. The orchestra will alternate between using the cell phones melodiously and as interrupting, annoying rings.



Creating music and disruption has also been used in a fun way by Improv Everywhere who create flashmob events around the world.



Music is social - it brings people together; it's something we love to share. These new innovations will open up a whole new world of applications and creativity.

For other videos on cell phone music making , check out Mashable.

3 comments:

  1. before I was addicted to new release cellphone but now, as I realized this is not a practical way, but investing into something that can build me as a good person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, cell phones have come a long way, but this post sounds like you're trying to catch up! i just stumbled onto your blog... you're quite smart... so just be yourself, and stop trying to be so "relevant" to what the kids are doing. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katherine,

    Thanks for stopping by and sharing your feedback. I believe that mobile is changing our lives and is both big business and a new medium for creative expression. This impacts young and old - not just kids. I also think it's incredibly important for marketers to understand how they should be incorporating mobile into their brand and communications strategy. As a communications channel, the mobile phone provides a great opportunity for brands to interact on a personal level with customers by providing added value - whether that be a fun application or game (LL Bean Moosentration), information (Kraft iFood Assistant) or added convenience (Starbucks new iPhone app).

    ReplyDelete